Saturday, April 7, 2012

BREATHE

When something drastic happens I sometimes catch my breath and forget to take another.
I'd forget to breathe if it were not for my autonomic system that kicked in the minute I entered this world.
Remembering to breathe takes a huge burden off of me.

I seem to have to remember so many things:
Like remembering to breathe when we watch the portrayal of Jesus being hammered onto wood.
Like remembering to breathe when we see the blood dripping from a human body.
Like remembering to breathe when we hear the last words, "It is finished."

It is finished.
The trauma is over.
Peace at last.
My heart still races after watching the movie, "The Passion" for the third time in my life.
 This time I kept my eyes open for the hard parts.

I am breathing a little easier now but it's still hard.
Breath . . . inhaling air . . . breathe
The life force that keeps us moving, thinking, being.
Breathe deep.

Today is a day to breathe deep . . .
really deep.
Inhale . . . ever - so - slowly . . .
as deep as is possible.
Hold that breath . . .
as long as is possible.
Exhale . . .  ever - so - slowly . . .
as slowly as possible.
Now do it again.
We are suppose to take twenty deep breaths a day for good health.
How often I forget.
In fact, since this deep breathing is not part of the autonomic system,
I have to be very intentional each time I breathe deeply.

What if we were intentional about breath prayers?
Breathe in deeply the fullness of our lives as God-followers.
Release just as deeply the frustrations that keep us from focusing on God.

I choose to picture God's Son, Jesus, as I pray.
It is that mortal part of the trinity I seem to connect with . . .
especially as I imagine God's work through Jesus as related in scripture.

I take time to think of what I want to release . . .
Then I think of affirming words that I would like to receive.

I breathe out anxiety . . .
and breathe in "Jesus . . . my faithful one"
I breathe out insecurity . . .
and breathe in "Jesus . . .  my rock."
I breathe out stress . . .
and breathe in "Jesus . . . my provider."
I breathe out fatigue . . .
and breathe in "Jesus . . . my strength."
I breathe out . . .
Twenty times . . .
Twenty words I do not need to hoard in my heart.
I breathe in . . .
Twenty times . . .
Twenty phrases of assurance from God.

It's not automatic.
It takes time . . .
most of the morning . . .
slowly . . .
surely . . .
I feel so much better . . .
released . . .
less full of 'stuff'
I let myself simply BE.
Today is simply a day to BE and to BREATHE.
Tomorrow. . .
Oh, tomorrow . . .
I can't wait . . .
but I will wait . . .
Tomorrow is the most exciting day of the year.
Breathe!

No comments:

Post a Comment