Friday, January 27, 2012

It's Time for Tea

I remember reading a little book several years ago called, "First We Have Coffee."  It was a simple story about a scandinavian woman who took time for coffee in the middle of a crises.
I remember the essence of her words.
 Stop.
Give frantic thoughts a rest.
Let's mull over this crises a bit before we run around in circles.

Whenever life seems to swirl about me a bit too fast and thinking becomes fuzzy, it is time to stop  . . . and enjoy a moment of reflection.
Sip something soothing to the senses and rest from whatever is causing this chaos inside my soul.

I need to linger awhile and sip something hot on these cold winter days.
Since I choose to drink coffee infrequently, I now drink tea.
Having a tea set in the bedroom has yet to prompt us to sip tea before we get dressed and ready for the day.  All too frequently this tea set remains as it is ... a delightful reminder to take a quiet moment to linger by the window and let the world spin without us.

My mother began this tradition of placing a tea set
on a pretty table in the bedroom.  
Lately, commitments and events seem to whirl about me at a faster pace than I had planned.
I thought these winter months would allow me to read through my huge stack of books.
I dream of spending long days sitting by the fire.
Yet, there are classes to teach, preparation for Sundays, meetings and commitments to attend to.
Some days I feel like I am a spinning top.
I need to slow down and chew on each moment.
I need to take some time for tea.

To remind us to take a moment, I placed tea sets around the house.
Most were given to me as presents and were tucked away for that 'special occasion.'
 Well, now is a special occasion ... it's time for tea.

This Brambly Hedge tea set is ready for tea
and a little something to go with it.  
My hubby thinks it is a grand idea to set tea cups at each place at the table.  We both need a reminder to unwind later in the day.
I also need to remember to take "T" time.
My hubby's first name starts with "T."
Sometimes we get so busy with our own schedules that I need to stop, fix some tea and simply listen.
We both enjoy 'lingering' with each other for a moment.


The mantel above the fireplace has a new look.
It's time for tea!

We have a set of shelves with treasures from my mother
 and wonderful reminders of our travels.

I found this miniature set somewhere.  I so love the
tiny bouquet and tiny wax candle with tin holder
 ... sitting on my grandfather's favorite math book.
 It's time for tea . . . and reading.
And so, today, I took time to write and reflect.
 "T" and I enjoyed a lovely lunch on this chilly, windy, snowless day.
    Ahhhhh, we take the chill out of our bones, watch the billowing clouds turn black, sigh as another snowless sky throws out soggy drops and sip a nice hot cup of tea.
And then we are off, again, at our frenetic pace, attending meetings and swirling through the commitments of the day.
 Yet, I need to remember to make time for tea.


No comments:

Post a Comment