Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Empty Space

Time = Space
Time takes up space.  We cannot have space without the presence of time.  Therefore, when we extend our EMPTY time, we extend our EMPTY space.  That said, you have noted the empty space over nearly a month.

I have been remiss to the say the least.  A bit of traveling, filling in for another who was sick for a month, busy-ness, lack of time . . . equals an empty blog-space.

So, we begin again .
I will try to fill the space with something interesting but not today.

This is a 'cairne' ... a marker.
It marks a space that needs nothing more.
Each rock sits atop another, precariously.
It tells me to stop, EMPTY myself.
BE ... life is precarious ... enjoy the moment.

We are entering a new season . . .  a season of preparation . . .  a season of reflection  . . . a season to empty ... ourselves ... BE ... reflect.

Today is an interesting event in this neck of the woods.
They call it Fasnacht Tuesday.  I've always called it Shrove Tuesday.
We eat Fashachts.
Since I did not take a picture of this tasty treat, I must leave you with an empty space.
It looks like a donut and tastes much richer.
 It's heavier.
 It's fabulous.
I only eat one a year.

Whoever celebrates this day is trying to EMPTY the cupboards of rich delights or EMPTY ourselves of that party spirit.  For tomorrow, we begin six weeks of fasting ... an emptying time ... a time to search our souls ... do penance of sorts.

We are asked to fast from something but this 'fasting' is actually finding a way to EMPTY a time or space or habit in order to GIVE to another, DO for another.  We give up something that we might give more abundantly in an area that we may have neglected.

In other words, I might give up time to satisfy my own needs in order to give that time to another in need.
 I might spend a little less so that I can give away a little more to a charity or someone in need.
 I might eat fewer foods that I really do not need in order to add to my health.
 I might eat less each week in order to give more to the food bank.

To EMPTY one's self of bad habits simply leaves SPACE to build new ones.
Not a bad idea.
The most difficult part of this season called LENT is just to do it.
I can 'say' whatever I want but to DO it?
That is something else.
I leave now . . .  to fill up on words that I will EMPTY out to others tomorrow as we celebrate ASH Wednesday, an EMPTYing time.

No comments:

Post a Comment