Saturday, December 31, 2011

Let's Celebrate the END of the year

It's December 31st!
We barely unwrap Christmas presents and send our thank you notes and it's the end of the year!  Many of us look forward to New Year celebrations and all that is ahead of us.  Yet, do we take time to linger over the past year?
  Do we take time to CELEBRATE some notable events, changes, blessings and challenges we have overcome?

 First, wouldn't it be nice to celebrate with cake?
                        Why not!
            Those "healthy diet' resolutions are for NEXT year, right?
We saw this in the bakery and could
not resist.  It is just right for the two of us.

Notice the size of the cake next to the teacup.
I could eat this myself but I will share it with hubby.
Brew a cup of tea, sit down and enjoy.  Periodically I bring out my very favorite cup that says, "It's good to be Queen."  Every now and then I have to remind myself that I am special ... wonderfully made ... with gifts and talents.
 We need to CELEBRATE them!

List your talents and those things you love to do.
You might be surprised.
Are you volunteering where you love to help?
Do you feel like you have made a difference?
What about an artistic flare?  It is amazing how creative we are and don't even know it.
The simple act of blogging is a creative challenge for me but I enjoy it.
When I teach I seem to bloom.
 I love to find creative ways to motivate others as we all grow in our Christian walk.
Creating 'beauty spots' around the house is another way to express the JOY of our creation.
Fabric and Blooms bring JOY to my heart.
Nothing beats a 'beauty spot.'
 I plant Paper Whites every year to bring the garden inside.
 Ahhhhhh, the smell floats through the air and grabs my attention when points of green burst into bloom.
When I sit in my favorite chair I notice the perfect white flowers ... each the same ... bursting with perfection.  Six petals with a little cup in the middle that holds three tiny yellow stamens.  The light dances on each petal as I marvel at their beauty.  So delicate to the touch, so fragrant, a sight for aging eyes.  

I am actually sitting in that chair now.  I try to focus on the past year but get distracted by the beauty of the flowers in front of me.  Today is a time to rethink the blessings and challenges of the past year.
         The weather, always a conversation piece up here, did affect so many of us.  Our small town is still suffering from the flood of September.  Soggy ground refuses to give way to cold weather.  One of these days we will get snow and the ground will freeze beyond surface frost.
      To focus on self ... that is the toughest challenge of all.  I survived a challenging year.  I even thrived.  God brought out the best in me creatively.  We cannot complain about our good health . . . nice home . . . no real needs.
     I sign off on many emails . . .  God is good, Life is good, We are good.
Each day is a gift and whatever comes forth in each 24 hour period is a reminder of God's precious presence.
                             And that reminds me of presents.
Add all the reminders of God's presence in my life  and I have received plenty of gifts this year.  In fact, today I happened to open some beautiful gifts.
No matter how a gift is wrapped, I like to set it out and look at its wrapping.  Sometimes, when we find a challenge in front of us, all we need to do is step back and see how it is wrapped.  Often, the wrapping hides a very precious gift inside.
Cake and gifts.  What a way to end the year!
 A present and God's presence are two different things.   Or are they?
Each is a priceless gift.  When we acknowledge God's presence in our lives, He shows us how He loves us in so many ways.
 Someone who takes the time to give of themselves also shows us love in so many ways.  These presents, below, are a priceless gift from my sister . . .  a botanical artist.  She shared her artistic gift with me.  She did all the work.  I simply find JOY in them.  What a treasure.
Gifts of beauty to enjoy forever.
 So, by now you might wonder . . . why am I lingering over cake and gifts?
IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!
I get to recall all the blessings of the past year while celebrating precious presents ... or is that our precious present?
      Phone calls, cards and emails offer gifts of love and remembrance.  I am surprised that so many have acknowledged my birthday!  Today my friends remind me that they are a precious gift and have filled this year with numerous blessings.   I am now ready to dive into the new year.
May your New Year be filled with blessings . . .  CELEBRATE this precious present.

No comments:

Post a Comment