Friday, December 9, 2011

Cookies and relish and bread, oh my!

Perhaps the reason I do not have the big tree up yet, or the Christmas letter started or much else done may be that I am having too much fun!

I got a new mixer to replace my 'vintage' 50 yr. old mixer that almost caused a fire when I plugged it in.  Actually, I am being dramatic.  The plug just burned up.  I guess the electrical tape I'd used to patch the cord over the years was just not enough.  I opted to find a way to attach a new cord but my precious husband took me right to the store where I found just what I needed.  It is so fabulous that mixing is really a joy.


I use a lovely silver spoon inherited from my mother
to scoop up flour.  It makes the task so much more
enjoyable.  You see ingredients for my Ginger Krinkles
(I like to spell it with a K when we sell them)
I make each year for our Sweet Shoppe at church.
 See the cookies in the previous blog.

So, for the first time in years I actually enjoy baking!  Living in a much colder climate might also be a reason.  The kitchen warms up and . . . voila  . . . we are warm and cozy AND have fun things baking in the oven.

A friend gave me these cute 'gingerbread man' scissors.
They don't cut worth a darn but they sure are cute!
That's my paper plate I use for sifted flour.
I have had it for years!

Tis the season for Cranberry Relish.  We use it on salads
or simply on our plate when we have chicken or turkey.
The minute I see these in the store I grab several
and freeze them for use throughout winter.
Gotta have that vitamin C !

Just cut oranges in quarters and pop them into the
food processor.  Blend 'til mushy.  Add Cranberries.
Blend with oranges until ... see the picture.
Then place all in a bowl and add sugar (calls for a cup
so I use 1/2 cup to balance the tang.)  Let stand in
fridge overnight.  Then place in cute jars to give to
  friends and neighbors as thank you gifts.

Hummus is not a Christmas delight but an absolute
necessity in our house.  Tony eats this so fast that
I make about three batches every two weeks.
I skip the Tahini as I am not that impressed with it.
Cloves and Cumin spice it up nicely.  A BIG splash of lemon
juice enables us to use less olive oil.

Throw in that olive oil until you have a nice, juicy paste.
Love it!

VOILA!  Pop this stuff into any container and leave
some for a cute serving dish.  Put a little out with
each meal or place a dollop on your salad.
I make a mean sandwich with pita, hummus, tomatoes
and cucumbers.  Hmmmmmmmm, good!

Of course I prep apples almost daily for dehydrating.
The Cranberry Relish is ready to give to a friend  . .  .
along with some Irish Soda Bread I baked in a heartbeat.
No, I'm not Ms. gourmet.  It was a package and I just added
a couple ingredients, mixed it in my new mixer and baked it. . .
 forever!  45 min.  My friend served lunch.  I brought HOT bread.
Well, I have lingered far too long with this blogging.
 I think I was making up for several blogs I should have written earlier.

We are off to another Craft Show.  Our neighbor makes primitives and duck decoys.  I always find something cute.  In fact, he made the Tree in my blog, O Christmas Tree.  One day I will show you all the little goodies I have purchased from him over the past couple years.  They are so inexpensive as he is retired and simply carves for enjoyment.  His works give ME joy.  O JOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment