Monday, December 10, 2012

HOME SWEET HOME

I love traveling . . .
. . . but I'd love it better if I did not have to pack quickly and dash out of the house during this wonderful season of Advent.
I had a long layover at the Charlotte, NC airport
It was a wonderful mid-way rest.
I missed a few Christmas events but I was glad to be of help.
Dad, almost 98, was doing quite well after surgery.

I was part of a 'tag-team' to give respite to my sister and her husband.
They were only two hours away when dad entered the hospital the beginning of November.
Between his hospital stay and nearly a month of rehab, they took charge.
Then dad ended up having surgery to insert a pacemaker.

Dad's surgery was on a Saturday and the hospital released him on Sunday.
Needless to say, we all responded to the call for help as we were determined not to send dad back to the hospital or rehab.
So dad slept . . .  and slept . . . almost twenty hours a day for three days.
Healing took place.
On the third day he 'resurrected' back into life.
Sound familiar?
I don't know what it is about three days but I have seen this happen many times.

We thought dad was going to spend the rest of his days sleeping.
Yet, by Wednesday he was up and alert and ready to go.
Only . . . his body said otherwise.
We had a trained aid to help us by this time.
Dad had spent over a month with almost no movement.
He was 'walked' twice a day but left alone most of the time.
Dad needed stimulation.
So, we stimulated him.
Six days after surgery dad is ready to roll.
Notice to rosy skin color.  Something new!
Dad's skin glowed after his bath.
The barber clipped off locks of white hair that had grown too long.
The podiatrist trimmed his toe nails that were cutting into his skin.
           Dad commented often that his feet felt good.
Dad's hand nails were next.
          I was not around for that one but dad has never had a manicure.
I bet he is more dashing than ever now.
It's like Rip Van Winkle woke up after sleeping a year.

Dad was ready to learn to walk . . . with a walker and the aid holding on to this six-four gorgeous hunk of a guy.
Dad felt better each day.
His skin glows.
He smiles, knowing he has accomplished something amazing.
I think dad is good for another few years.

My brother took over after me.
He was just in time to see dad hungry, enduring long days with short naps and with his sharp mind totally in tack.
Dad is ready for intellectual as well as physical stimulation.
Except for his 'shuffle' one would not know anything happened.
Knitted ornaments and garland drape a
Christmas tree at dad's condo.
I'm told that, with daily practice, his walking may also improve.

Dad does need more help than usual so he will return to his northern home where he is surrounded by all sorts of aids in his assisted living facility.
Too bad his 'southern' sojourn was short.
Yet, we made sure dad enjoyed sitting outside and driving around his 'winter homeland'.
We ate at old haunts and drove to all his favorite places so he can retain thirty years of memories in these warm environs.

As I traveled back north to celebrate this season with my hubby, I was reminded that we don't know what the future brings but it's always good to be HOME SWEET HOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment