Sunday, March 4, 2012

Time MARCHes on!

And so we come to the month of MARCH!
 Time is moving too fast . . . especially since I have slowed down to a crawl and choose to linger longer in my favorite chair near the window . . .
and write reflections in my journal . . . and prepare for the classes I teach and the Lenten retreat I will lead all too soon.

   
My friend has this pillow on her couch.  I love it.
It says it all.  Nest: a place of retreat
  My urge to "nest" seems stronger this time of year.

I hide from the chill of the wind that screams outside.
We are blessed that we only hear the noise.
Very little is disturbed . . .  except untended trash once in awhile.


I get the yen to plant something when I see tulip leaves cutting through soggy soil . . . too soon, I think.  Perhaps they are more hearty than I imagine.  If we are ever to get snow of any magnitude it would have to be this month.  Yet, I don't see the temps dropping any time soon.

Tulips in a pot were given to me two years ago.
I simply planted them the next Spring and they
have doubled!







Basil, Thyme, Parsley, Cilantro & Chives
in clay pots are 'hung' on a little stand.





    So, I decided to plant seeds inside.         Herb seeds.
  It will be good to have a little green inside once they begin to rise above their hiding places in the dirt.

I poured water on these pellets and suddenly I have 'dirt.'
I then carefully pressed the seeds into this mixture, laid a tiny bit more dirt on top, watered again and . . . wait.

Each day I take the spray bottle and sprinkle to maintain the moisture level.
Can you see how the clothes pins work?
Now I wait for something to happen.
I don't want to flood the seeds with too much water.

I found some clothes pins to hold the little tags I created out of construction paper . . .  and then
I placed the pins, up-side-down, on the edge of each pot.
Voila! ... I will now know what is growing . . .  or not growing . . .  as the case may be.


The need to grow . . .  life . . .  God's natural rhythm is to grow . . . us . . . just as plants grow.  'Remember, that we are dust(dirt) and to dust(dirt) we shall return.'  We must die before we can live . . . as the Apostle Paul says, "To live is Christ and to die is gain."    May we see ourselves in these little seeds . . .  growing only when nurtured and loved and encouraged to live.


After just a few days I see life!
Unfortunately, even with my elbows on a solid surface, my little
 'point and shoot' camera could not remain steady

At least you get the idea.
Now to remain vigilant.





1 comment:

  1. When I garden, I often think about how Paul wrote, that one plants, one waters, but only God brings the harvest. I think, "I can plant and water, but only God makes things grow." Amazing, really. And true in so many areas of life.

    ReplyDelete