Friday, December 6, 2013

A QUIET TIME

December is suppose to be filled with the frenzy of preparation for celebrations.
Hanukkah began the night before Thanksgiving day.
I was told this would not happen again for 730 years so I am glad I was around when this happened.

Thanksgiving was so late that we jumped right into decorations and lights and trees for sale.
I missed it all.
I returned from a conference with a bad cold and have been nursing it as much as I can.
It has laid me low and kept me from swirling with everyone else as this 'Season of Advent' becomes frenetic.
I'm glad I am laid low.
I have had time to rest, as much as one can when blowing one's nose.

I linger a little longer with e-notes to people.
I close my eyes and hours fly by.
I awake to the trickle of raindrops gently soaking the earth.
What a gorgeous Fall and easy winter we have had so far.
The days open late under hanging clouds.
Night dark closes in so early that I wonder where the day went.
That's OK.
I'm staying quiet.
I'm being still.
I'm just being.
I have to let go of shopping and cards and decorating.
I have no choice.
I am glad I am taking advantage of the quiet part of December.
I look forward to the celebration of the birth of Christ Jesus.
Yet, for now, I am glad to simply sit and sip tea with honey and close my eyes and linger in quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment