Tuesday, June 19, 2012

TIME IN THE GARDEN

I am finally in the garden again.
Distractions have interfered with my focus on flora but now I can spend a bit more time deciding what to do with all this foliage.
Parts of the garden are new this year.
Parts have taken three years to flourish.
I love it all.
I want to fill in all the empty space but I know better.
There is still much to transplant.
Too much blue in front.
Almost no blue in back.
Oh my!
This gets complicated.
I just want to watch the garden grow and see what happens.

The bamboo trellis is ready for the beans that are suppose
to grow and twist around it.  It's not hot enough yet.
The banner was given to me by my sister years ago.
I love letting it wave in the breeze.
I want to tell people, "Come, sit in the garden."


Pink Hydrangeas are now blue after adding
aluminum last year.  It took my Astilbe
three years to pop with red and look healthy.

This is a better shot of the hill.  I love the three
terraced beds.  Each has a personality of its own.


Blue Creeping Geranium is overtaking my Russian Sage!
Day Lilies are trying to peak through.
I guess I have a little work to do.


Paprika Yarrow seems to POP!  I so love them.
I know they will look tacky when they fade but
for now they look like an ice cream sundae!
So, I have a choice to make each day.  I can linger in the garden and smell the wonderful scents or I can do just a little bit of work to keep this moment of beauty fresh.

Some days I opt to linger.
Other days I begin to pluck tired buds or that unwanted weed and before I know it I have spent two hours in the garden.

Choices turn challenges into joy.
Time in the garden is so short in this region.
Summer hopefully will live up to its name in a couple days.
For now, it is rainy and cold with spurts of hot.
That's the challenge, though.
Each day seems to unfold with just the right amount of time in the garden.

I ponder here.
Newly trimmed rose bushes will soon overtake the empty space.
That's the fun.  Trim them and they will grow!





So I continue making choices: to linger or to work or to do a little bit of each.
It's a question most of us ask daily as we go about our chores . . . either at our workplace or at home or both.
 Do I linger awhile and enjoy the moment?  YES!
Do I work a little so those 'linger-moments' are a delight? YES!

That is what makes our lives complicated.
Life, like our gardens, needs tending.
Life, like our gardens, needs enjoyment.
We can have both but that is the challenge we face daily.
Sometimes a little lingering, a little mulling over our 'life garden' is a challenge but the results, hopefully, will grow memories that last forever.

   
My little herb garden looks so drab.
I want to fill the space with color but I'll be patient.
I took this shot a few weeks ago.
I will show mature plants in a week or two. 
I love the textures and colors that POP
in our front yard.  What whimsey!


The back yard overlooks open fields, cut short
by a 'hedge' of huge trees that bloom full
and partially cover our view.  That's OK.
We have plenty of birds and roses to
keep our attention.


No comments:

Post a Comment