Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Suddenly September

One minute we are parched and hot in July and the next minute we are swamped in a deluge of rain in September.  The rain is good but now I better understand why the butterflies and bees lingered so long in our garden the other day. 

 The butterflies drink the sweet nectar of our Butterfly Bush non-stop. 

 The Rose bushes and Russian Sage offer sweet delights for the hungry bees.     I miss being outside but we are all hiding from the torrents of rain that still gush forth. 
 I wonder where butterflies and bees hide from the rain.

 Throughout the summer I lingered on my upstairs porch, a good distance from our little bird house. Mama and papa bird frantically flew in and out of the house with food.  All too soon, two fat birds flew the coop.
    To my surprise, another family moved in and before I knew it, another two fat babes flew away.  Then a THIRD pair of birds set up house and raised two more chubby birds.  What a summer!  Three families, six babies!    
     Now the little house lies empty, except for feathers and grass pressed into the walls.  I miss all the action.  The birds are out there somewhere, enjoying their freedom.   I guess it's time to clean the inside and tuck the little house away for next year.                                                         
 It is cold and soggy now but I know sun and warmth will return, at least until mid-October.
 I want to linger outside a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment