Saturday, September 28, 2019

AUGUST ABUNDANCE

[Editor's note: This was written in August but never placed on the blog.  Enjoy lingering over this and the next post almost at the same time!]

August has been a unique month.  
Although we live in the hills of Pennsylvania, summer has been hot and wet like being in Florida, where we lived for twelve years.  
Muggy nights, no relief for the senses.  
It’s as if I were floating in a quiet lagoon on a hot, misty day.  Toward the end of the month the rapid change in weather surprised us.  Once I was resigned to sticky-hot days, a few storms slowly brought cooler weather.

This very last day of August, I set aside time to linger on the back porch as the cool breezes drift through this cozy space.  
My thoughts wander. 
I think of the promise I made to myself this summer.
“I’ll read the lectionary [an order of daily scripture passages that enables me to read through the bible in three years] and write a meditation eery day."

I not only must read and digest God's word but, as I do so, I pray that one word or sentence will touch my heart in a way that I can share with others.
It’s not that I have little to do.  
In fact, hubby and I have entertained visitors and have dealt with more projects than usual this summer.  
We are busy every single day.
Yet, this promise I made to myself is the only way I can think of to set aside a couple hours each day and persevere in my goal.
This is one goal I have thought of for years and never took the extra time to activate.  
Time, moments to linger a little longer with a phrase or story daily, should enable me to nurture the ever-growing roots of my faith. 
Since I so enjoy tucking words of love, grace and exhortation into my heart, why not share my thoughts with others?
My soul is deeply rooted in the assurance of my salvation.  This assurance does not just happen.  I’ve spent the past 40-plus years digging deep, asking questions, seeking understanding.

The building of deep, healthy roots of my faith in Christ is  like what I’ve observed in the Leland Cypress in our back yard.  
Our favorite pine grows taller each year and towers over our small yard.  It’s branch-span covers the diameter of at least twenty-five feet.  Yet they bounce gracefully through frequent wind and rain storms we’ve encountered this summer.  
Heavy snow in winter merely weighs on the limbs without breakage and has provided a tranquil setting as I’ve lingered at the window. 
Yet, it was a ten foot tree when planted ten years ago.  No way can this large tree stand firmly without a very deep root system.

This majestic sight seems impossible
without constant feeding the massive roots would have shriveled up.
Fortunately, our lovely Leland anchored its roots deeply in all directions.  
Water, and a myriad of nutrients that flows from the hill above it, feed it daily.
Our lovely pine lingers in its beauty, even in challenging weather, as it attracts the curious into our garden.
I love it.  
I’m reminded of my own constant need to chew on words which help me grow, especially during times of adversity.  
God’s affirmations, promises, insights and wisdom feed me daily.  
By digesting the nutrients of God’s presence through prayer, study worship, Holy Communion and song, the Holy Spirit keeps feeding me, rooting me deeply, so that I might stand tall during passing showers or high-power storms.

My life has been a circuitous maze of wonders, challenges, pitfalls and accomplishments.  I’ve ‘been there done that’ in so many directions that I feel I’ve explored my own capacity to drink in each moment of life.  
Exciting.
Yet, some days are exhausting and others are exhilarating as I breathe in the beauty of God’s creation or embrace a wonder-filled adventure.
Some days I drink deep and linger a little longer than usual over some passage of scripture or insight-full book.
It’s all good.
I embrace linger-longer days, good and bad, as I become firmly planted just where I am.  
My roots remain strong no matter what happens.
Just like the pine tree in our yard, what we do not see is the most important.  
Without roots our pine tree would topple over and die.
We also need roots to keep from toppling over in the slightest storm.
Without my daily time of meditation and reflection how long could I persevere in life’s challenges?
I've never waited to find out.
Read Psalm 1.

It’s a great example of God’s grace-filled-tree that is deeply rooted near living water, the sustainer of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment