Monday, December 31, 2018

DECEMBER TRADITIONS


What would we do without traditions?

“I remember when . . . “ floods my soul this time of year.
I sense time speeding by far too quickly.
One moment I’m reading about an event in the present and the next moment my mind sweeps backwards fifty years as I recollect a similar event in my own life.

Every now and then I venture to guess how many years ago I experienced a specific life adventure.
It may be a major turning point in my life . . . of which I have had many.
It may be a fabulous exploration experience . . . of which I have had many.

I try to remember the year and can only do so if I equate the event or experience or turning point with a specific marker.  
For instance, exact markers that have specific dates might be: graduation from high school, collage and graduate school (twice).  
Since I have had many jobs in vastly different career fields I can pretty much ‘mark’ changes in job location.
With change in job location I can picture my new home and, several times, moving to a new state.

The stabilizer with each change is TRADITION.

December prompts the most family traditions.
Mom made our stocking out of materials she used to make special dresses for me and my sister.  The boys got ties of the same fabric..  One year she used felt and had plenty left over.  So, she made Christmas stockings for each of us out of felt.
They were so cute that we used them for years.  I still have mine but replaced it when I got married.

I created a new tradition for hubby and myself based on the old tradition.
I used fabric from the gorgeous curtains and luscious chair coverings I made for our ‘forever’ home . . .  which we changed several times . . .  for our stockings.
Although we have new window coverings and updated furniture, we still enjoy the tradition of hanging those stockings up every year.  It reminds us of our first home
together.

By tradition, we fill each other’s stocking with items from around the house.  Always an apple or tangerine goes into the toe as well as a toothpaste sample with new brush - reminding us it’s time to change our toothbrushes.  A few trinkets from the ‘Dollar Store’ and voila, we’re done.

Baked cookies, luscious soups, my famous spinach balls, fresh scones, cranberry-orange relish and a few other foods remain on our traditional list.  Sending cards, inviting people to share meals, sending extra money to our favorite charities, making special phone calls and so much more are traditions we’ve kept for years.

Yet, the most important tradition is that which we’ve kept daily throughout our marriage.  We read together and pray together.  Hubby is the prayer warrior.  We both pray on our own but he insists, before either of us leaves the house, that we pray together.  Most likely we’ve already shared our morning devotions while enjoying our traditional daily oatmeal.  

Christmas gained new meaning for me over forty years ago.  I came to know the person whose day the world celebrates . . . Jesus, the Christ, 
the anointed one, 
the One who was born to a virgin, Mary.  
The One whose father is God.  
The One who was sent to this world, earth, by his Father to be the ultimate sacrifice for sin.  
No more burnt offerings, no more unblemished lambs offered at the temple each year.  
Jesus was born in a most humble space, where animals find shelter.
He grew to be the servant of God to the world.
Jesus so loved the unlovable, the most wretched, that He became the ultimate sacrifice for us. . . the Lamb of God.
Jesus became the sacrificial ‘Lamb of God’ so that any who believe in Him might have unhindered access to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob without further sacrifice for our own sins.  
Jesus took all our sin upon himself, for us, at the cross.
Jesus shed his blood, for us, to cover our sin . . . all sin.
Jesus’ life, by tradition, is celebrated annually by those who come to that same cross and give our lives to God in Christ.


We celebrate the CHRIST - MASS every December.
Yet, we who believe that Jesus, 
the Christ, 
the anointed one of God, 
who has taken all our sin upon himself to free us from any hindrance to God’s eternal presence . . .  
We, celebrate the Christ-mass every day of our lives . . . in our heart, soul, with others . . . as we live each day dedicated to God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Tradition: Daily thanksgiving to God for a life filled to overflowing with blessing (even when circumstances seem deeply challenging).
Tradition: Daily hugs and kisses and positive affirmations to my hubby.

Tradition: Oatmeal with raisins on top of loads of blueberries . . .  almost daily.

Tradition: Celebrating every moment of life as God presents through prayer, daily scripture reading, worship services, music, contemplation, sharing insights with hubby and my weekly ‘growth’ group, taking classes, leading classes . . . the list is endless.

Tradition: Creating a habit that celebrates the life God has given to each of us.

December is filled with traditions that remind us of our daily walk with God.

Now it’s time to turn the page, open a new year, and make new ‘traditions’ that will last a lifetime.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Postscript: A BIRTHDAY Tradition
My birthday just happens to be December 31.
Hubby and I have created some fun birthday traditions.

One is Crepe paper!  We decorate our abode with colorful stretches of crepe paper.  Hubby did a fabulous job this year.

We always have cake.  I'm very specific: Very small but bigger than a cupcake.  Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting (an absolute no-no in my diet but today I
indulge).

Special foods from the deli.  Hubby finds what he likes and I put it on the plate.  Voila!  A feast and I don't have to cook. [Because going out to dinner is almost impossible for we who like quiet dining.  I opt out of the big festivities]

Balloon.  Just one.  Every year is different.  LOVE IT!


Fireworks!  Because we currently reside in a warmer climate, we enjoy sitting on the beach at 7:00 pm for wonder-filled, brilliant explosions in the sky.  This year I found out that the hotel very near us has it's own display at about 9pm . . .  a double bundle of explosive joy!

Tradition . . . throughout the year . . . makes for a plethora of wonder-filled moments in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment