Friday, November 30, 2018

NOVEMBER - ALL DONE

When I was very young, I remember sitting at the dining room table with the family, enjoying the lingering
conversation, contributed by all of us.  
I belonged to the CPC and was proud of it.  In fact, all of us in the family belonged to the CPC - Clean Plate Club.  Mom always served healthy, colorful plates of food that were easy to consume.  Second portions were available but most of the time I was satisfied with the portion I received.  
My motivation to complete the task of consuming the monthly portion of liver was the promise of dessert. 
“All done,” I’d say.  “Well done,” my father would respond.  
“You belong to the CPC.”   My siblings and I grew to be tall, slim and physically fit, perhaps because we knew when to say, “all done.”

The habit of completing a task and saying, “all done,” became the norm for my life.  I might surmise that this sense of accomplishment I learned as a tyke carried over into the rest of my life.  
Yet, are we ever really “all done?”  Most of us measure our life journey via calendar dates, educational levels and job promotions.  
Although a day ends, we wake to find a week completed and, in a blink, the end of the month.  One month moves into the next and then a year is completed.  Years turn in to decades and, before I know it, I am looking back at what I’ve accomplished instead of forward to what I have yet to envision for my life.

That’s where I seem to be, this very last day of the month . . .  “all done.” I’m not ‘done in’  by any means but I sense that I am all done with the major parts of my bucket list.  
Unlike most people, I began my ‘bucket list’ in my early twenties.  Life’s twists and turns only enhanced this list which, when each item was completed, I could proudly say,“all done.”

I was given some ‘well done’ money by a scholastic society my last year of college because I had done well in my studies.  It was just enough to purchase ski boots.  My
next plan was to learn to ski.  I’d never even been on a ski slope . . .  ever! 
In fact, I used those ski boots at the same time I fulfilled another wish on my list that took me all over the world and became a fifteen year career.  During that time I managed to ski, and live, in two different ski towns while also enjoying the ski slopes in other parts of the world.  
Life was good.  I could have been quite satisfied with my list and said, “all done.”
Yet, I was just beginning my life goals.  I moved to a new state in the U.S. and then to a new state in my life.  Through my years working in the airlines I’d been introduced to FCAP.  Fellowship of Christian Airline Personnel, known all over the world in the airline business, involves flight attendants,  pilots, grounds personnel, caterers and any who wish to gather in small groups to learn, share, expand their faith and encourage one
another in their Christian walk. 

  It took the patience of many FCAP members to convince me, love me, direct me, be present with and simply guide me to new understanding as I sought answers to questions I’d carried in my soul for decades. 
Ever-so-slowly I gained affirmation of the full presence of God, through His Son, Jesus Christ and accepted His presence into my life . . . my very soul.  
I thought my decision to join these numbers would mean I’m “all done.”  Yet, this was only the beginning of decades of learning, sharing and expanding my own faith in God.
  The rest of my story is long because God took me through my own, personal, wonder-filled labyrinth of faith.  I’ve since had several careers, married my prince  charming and am now retired. 
But am I all done?  Not at all.
As this month of November ends, we move into a most glorious month of December where we begin at the beginning, again, with the celebration of the birth of Christ Jesus. 
Just as a new liturgical year begins, white as snow, with joyous anticipation, I look ahead to once again experiencing all the phases of Christ’s life. 
I know that God's work is never done just as mine is never done. 
  I’m entering the ‘winter’ season of my own life but look forward to sharing new beginnings with souls not yet alive with the same gift of God’s eternal love.  His is the same love carried me through many challenges where I sometimes felt  “done in.”   
As I turn the life-pages of each new day, month, year and beyond, only God knows when my bucket list will really end.  Oh to hear the same words the Father gave to his Son, Jesus Christ . . . "Well done my good and faithful servant."  
I will be quite satisfied to hear, "All Done."




No comments:

Post a Comment